Thursday, January 1, 2015

2014 in Review

2014 was a great year for Brett and me. Looking back over the highlights of the year made me look forward to 2015!

Highlights
-Starting a new job and moving to Chicago.
-Welcoming a new niece (Josie Louise).

My sister makes some cute babies.

Favorite TV
-Broad City. Can someone literally die laughing? I hope not.
-Jane the Virgin. Very sweet, funny show.

Favorite Movies
-Guardians of the Galaxy. Dad and I saw this movie in a theater with seats that move (is this the future?). Lots of fun.
-Gone Girl. Super creepy and I loved it.
-The Lego Movie. Funny, clever movie.

Favorite New (To Me) Podcasts
-Serial. Fun to be part of a zeitgeist.
-Ask Me Another. NPR quiz show = geek heaven.
-Pop Culture Happy Hour. This podcast is so entertaining, I can listen and enjoy it even when I have not seen/heard/read the pop culture they are discussing.

Favorite Books
-The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt. I read this beast of a novel for a bookclub. I am glad that it was for a bookclub, or else it would have taken me much longer than two weeks to read it.
-Life After Life by Kate Atkinson. Please read it so that we can talk about it.

Favorite Jams
-Sylvan Esso. Super chill.
-Take Me to Church by Hozier. Earworm.
-Riptide by Vance Joy. Monster earworm.
-Girls Chase Boys by Ingrid Michaelson. Oh-oh-oh.

Fun Trips
-Family cruise in January. This is particularly meaningful now because my grandfather passed away in the fall.
-Visiting San Francisco. Brett had an internship and was there for many weeks. I came to visit him for our wedding anniversary.

Standing on a boat on the bay, watching the tide roll away.
-Memphis for the wedding of our good friends Adam and Hillary.

Yum.
-Labor Day in Seattle.
-Ann Arbor for Audrey and Adam's wedding.

Best Eats
-Last meals at Let's Take a Seat (silly name, delicious tofu) and Golden Harbor (better name, equally delicious tofu) in Champaign.
-Chicago Cut with my dad. I wanted to treat, but of course he did not let me.

Overall, in terms of media, this was the Year of the Podcast for me. I am ashamed at how little reading I did. If I can offer any excuse, it is that my job requires a lot of reading, and I often do not feel like reading more when I get home. But, like you, I am unmoved by that excuse, and hopefully in 2015 I can reclaim my status as a reader.

In terms of real life, this was a very real year. I transitioned into a job that I will (hopefully) be in for the foreseeable future. Brett accepted an equally grown up job. Our families and friends experienced many joys and some heartaches. All in all, I am entering 2015 excited for the future, but very pleased with the present.


No comments:

Post a Comment